As much as I’d rather not do so, it’s important to take a position on this issue. Have American drone attacks gained such impunity, that we’ve crossed the line killing our own citizens before any due process?
- Was Anwar Al-Awlaki Illegally Assassinated? (drjays.com)
- Herman Cain Flip Flops on Killing of Awlaki (thenewamerican.com)
- Was Anwar al-Awlaki still a U.S. citizen? (foreignpolicy.com)
- Drones Are Death Warrants -Can the U.S. send drones to execute American citizens like Anwar al-Awlaki without trial? You bet. (slate.com)
- Questions of Awlaki Citizenship Difficult to Answer in a Stateless War (policymic.com)
It appears to come down to two arguments:
- Citizens, no matter how heinous alleged crimes, have constitutional and judicial rights to trial.
- A citizen, shooting at police, can be legally shot and killed without prior arrest.
Which occurred in this case?