My toolset for Mac OSX 10.6.8 SSL into a Windows XP Pro SP3 computer is complete.
- I use bitviseSSHserver on Windows as the host. It’s the only one I’ve found that works with Unison, without additional wrappers.
- I use Unison 2.32.52 to keep files synchronized between the two computers over the SSH link.
- I also use the very convenient BTSync beta running in the background to sync files, but it’s include/exclude logic is not as powerful, which I miss because Mac and Windows file directories aren’t laid out identically.
- I use the Mac terminal command line OpenSSH_5.2p1 client to reach the Windows box SSH server. When presented with a DOS command prompt, learning to script with DOS batch files helps a lot.
- I haven’t figured out how to get a GUI presented through the SSH link, but if I really need a GUI, I access the Windows box using UltraVNC Server 220.127.116.11.2; the Mac Finder Go “Connect to Server” option knows how to talk with UltraVNC by using the vnc: protocol.
- I use Lynx 2.8.5 text browser on the Windows box, which presents an ASCII GUI to the Mac computer through the SSH link.